Jeff,

> On Jul 23, 2010, at 8:05 PM, Gary Winiger wrote:
>
> >     I'm trying to understand the compelling reason for adding sys_share.

> I think this issue (missing requirements/rationale) is
> at the heart of many of the questions in this thread,
> so I'd like start there.

        Thanks, that makes sys_share clear to me.  What I was missing
        was that sys_nfs was needed to import as well as share.

> PRIV_SYS_SHARE
> --------------
>
> Currently, establishing a share enforces PRIV_SYS_CONFIG
> in sharefs.  For ZFS shares, libshare contains an additional
> check to enforce full privileges.  These privilege checks

        Libraries cannot and should not try to enforce privileges.
        In what I believe this case to be, only the kernel can
        enforce privileges.  I presume this a misstatement.
        One can always write an equivalent function to the
        library without privilege checks.  Processes calling of that
        equivalent function should not be granted access unless they have
        appropriate privileges.

> will never succeed in a NGZ because they are prohibited
> by the Zones security model.  The current checks will be
> replaced by the proposed (new) PRIV_SYS_SHARE.

        This seems to me to be an incompatible change that doesn't
        need to be made.  If before this project, sys_config was
        the privilege that allowed sharing, it should continue
        to allow sharing.  In addition sys_share should allow
        sharing.  I believe it was already determined that
        sys_config cannot/should not/must not be granted to a NGZ.

        If the project wishes to make this incompatible change,
        please justify it (and perhaps how it would be mitigated for
        all existing users of sys_config to share).

        Other than the "misstatement" and the incompatibility,
        I'm now fine with the case.  Thanks.

Gary..