Alexander Kolbasov wrote:
I would like to propose a project aimed to improve ON build times. This can live either under tools or under performance or under some other community.

There was some discussion about it a while ago in the context of Google summer of code:

http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=33951

It may be a part of ONNV project, or something else if you think that some other project/community is more suitable.

The goal of the project is to make our ON builds faster. This includes, but is not limited to:

- Developing and running observability tools to understand existing problems and find some low-hanging fruits

- Increasing build parallelism

- Taking advantage of new OpenSOlaris technologies like DTrace and ZFS.

- Cleaning up Makefiles (at least some major Makefile issues)

- Exploring some aggressive tricks and techniques to radically improve build times

- Exploring various caching approaches.

The goal is to make builds fast enough for developers to be productive. This is, probably, going to be an open-ended project.
+1

-Eric