I've upgraded fine using one of two methods.

1) Start the installation from the new CD, at some point you'll be asked if you
want to do an initial install or upgrade.  Choose upgrade.  This still takes
roughly the same amount of time as a full install. On one of my machines this
meant over an hour downtime.

2) Use LiveUpgrade.  This requires an alternative boot partition, but it allows
you to upgrade while the system is live.  You only need to do a reboot at the
end.  The nice thing is that if you find something broken you can go back to
the previous install.

Gary