On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Hi!
>

> Glynn asked me (as the upstream PulseAudio maintainer) to respond to
>this thread, so here I go. I'll try to respond to all the points
>raised in this thread:

> Richard Hamilton listed a couple of sound servers, claiming that it
>was a problem to adopt a sound server because there were so many of
>them. That's not really true. All sound servers he listed are either
>dead (MAS, ESD, aRts), prehistoric in its feature set (NAS, ESD) or
>not suitable for desktop use (Jack) or not a sound server at all

   Well I maintain NAS - have for about a decade now.  No, it does not
   support 7.1 dolby-whatever, but it doesn't need to.  It does what it
   claims to do, no more no less.

[...]

> Then, "Unix Admin" asked mumbled something about whether we might
>want to install Solaris on my machines. Thanks, but no thanks. I
>already got a good operating system, which is called "Fedora", and
>its audio system is what I am payed to work on by Red Hat.

   That must be nice :)  I'd love to be paid to work on NAS.  Provides
   alot of opportunity to improve/code things doesn't it?

   One of the reasons the other sound servers you mention (like MAS for
   example) aren't viable anymore is precisly because no one wanted to
   pay someone to work on it.  You should consider yourself to be quite
   lucky - a paid engineer working on 'free' software.  Cool.  I want
   that gig :)

> Because the underlying audio APIs of Solaris (OSS and SunAudio) are
>not nearly as powerful as ALSA many of the niftier features I am
>currently working on will most likely not be available on Solaris
>anytime soon, though.

   Oh come on... I think you are thinking of the ancient OSS that linux
   ships (or used to ship with).  I've seen the ALSA API.  I'll pass,
   thanks.

   SunAdudio I'll agree with, but not OSS, sorry.

> Shawn Walker claimed that PA wasn't adopted yet. As mentioned above,
>we have been adopted by all relevant Linux distributions. There's not
>much left we could win in Free Software land, except maybe that
>little OS that starts with "Slow" and ends with "aris". ;-) Oh, and a

   Ah... Again, you obviously haven't run a recent Solaris either (or
   ever??), have you.  heh.

>couple of device manufacturers ship PA on mobile phones and GPS
>devices. And Nokia is now working on integrating it into Maemo

   What on earth for?

>too. So again, adoption is a non-issue. Besides maybe OpenSolaris,
>everyone who could adopt it has adopted it.

    I don't know what you mean by 'adopted'... I don't really see any
    need to 'adopt' a sound server at all, whether it be PA or NAS.  If
    you need it, get it, else, who cares?

[...]
> Shawn's claim that OSS will give you better audio support than "most
> GNU/Linux", is an adventurous claim, at best. Also, good "audio support" also
> requires good RT support, and afaik out-of-the-box Linux still tops Solaris
> by far on that.

   Yes... I suppose that 'afaik' was a wise move...

[...]
> PA is not made redundant by OSS. PA provides desktop integration, stuff like
> moving live streams between devices, network support and whatever. This is
> all stuff raw OSS cannot do.

   I'm sorry, but how many people really need to move audio streams
   between devices for 'desktop use'?

   Granted, it's a nice toy, but...

   Anyway, thanks for the condescending rant! :)

[...]

--
Happy cheese in fear                 | Jon Trulson
against oppressor, rebel!            | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]