On 07/24/10 04:17 PM, Ian Collins wrote:
On 07/25/10 10:27 AM, Shawn Walker wrote:
On 07/24/10 06:37 AM, Moinak Ghosh wrote:
To stir the pot here, since we are discussing a "Community Distro"
as opposed to a SUN/Oracle distro, IPS when used remotely from
halfway across the world has large performance issues. For example
in Bangalore I personally know no one outside the SUN India office
who have successfully updated packages on their OpenSolaris
installations let alone do an image-update in a sane amount of time.
In comparison things like YUM or Apt-Get are reasonable even over
512Kbps.

Having said that I am not going to make vague statements. I will
do my own testing over a 2Mbps broadband link and post
measurements.

The version of pkg(5) that will be part of b144 should deliver
somewhere around a 20% or greater performance improvement in transport
performance when used with a properly configured web and/or depot server.

If we ever get to see b > 134!

The source is there, and you can build it you know ;)

Alternatively, you could use the bits someone made available on genunix.org for b142:

  http://genunix.org/dist/richlowe/README.txt
  http://genunix.org/dist/richlowe/

Cheers,
-Shawn