I would like to build a high density storage server which will be evolutive.
Here is the hardware I have available:
-Norco RPC-4224 chassis (rackable 4U with x24 3.5 SATA disk hotswap backplane)
-Tyan Tempest i5000VF motherboard with dual 3 Ghz Xeon and 8GB ECC DDR2
-3Ware 9650SE-24M8 SATA controller (24 SATA2 channels)
I would like to begin with x5 or x6 2TB Samsung F4 "Green" hard drives, to
expand to full 24 drives when my storage need will grow.
My first plan was to build a huge RAID6 array but my attention was pointed to
Solaris platform for reliable Raidz3 support.
My question was, how can I grow a raidz3 array with more drives? What is the
most secure and reliable method without the need to backup all the data already
stored?
I've thought of creating a first raidz3 vdev with 6 drives, the adding up to 4
6-drive raidz3 vdevs. But this way I lose a lot of storage on the base 48TB?