On 4/29/2011 5:34 PM, Kate wrote:
I have recently accepted a job that has a development lab with a lot of Sun
equipment, fiber infrastructure, and more. Consequently I have worked with
neither very much before. Over the last few weeks I have been trying to find
the right answer for this situation:

What do you do with several X4540's, several X4270 M2's, a weak copper network
(1Gb), Fiber Channel HBAs in everything (but not connected to anything), unused
fiber switches, and a huge demand for fast data storage?

There is no room for port bonding due to lack of interfaces on our ethernet
switches so obviously something has to be done with this fiber infrastructure
that is completely unused (dont ask i have no idea).

Clearly I have much storage available on top of these Sun servers that get to
enjoy the greatness of ZFS, but if all I got to serve the data is a single 1 Gb
ethernet port- I feel nauseous. I have all my ZFS platforms capable of writing
at over 1 GBps, but I can't even wake them up with 1 Gb of network i/o.

I want to utilize this fiber infrastructure. The only thing I have found thus
far is the COMMSTAR project. UNFORTUNATELY: This particular organization will
NOT budge on moving away from Solaris 10. So I cannot run OpenSolaris. Anyone
have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Solaris 10 doesn't support FC target mode.

You have three major options:

(1) Get your company to allow you to buy and use Nexenta for the X4500 machines.

(2) Get an Oracle Support contract for the X4500s, which will allow you to use and get support for Solaris 11 Express.

(3) Run some flavor of Linux on them.

All three of the above options allow the use of Fibre Channel Target Mode for the HBAs in the X4500, which in turn allows you to serve out the data via FC to hosts.

As horrible as it sounds, #2 is likely the cheapest option.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support