Hi all

Robin said on #opensl she thinks I should become a committer. However I
don't feel able to sign the Contribution Agreement, as some questions I
have about it still aren't answered. I have sent them to
contributi...@lindenlab.com back in October, and still haven't received
a reply. I talked to Merov back then and he asked legal several times
about it, but apparently they were "busy".

Here's my original mail to contributi...@lindenlab.com:
> [...]
>> combination with or included in any product, work or
>> materials* arising out of the SL Viewer Project, and to sublicense
>> the foregoing rights to third parties through
>> multiple tiers of sublicensees or other licensing mechanisms at
>> Linden Lab's option.
> I understand that this demands, that I grant licences to my present
> and future patents on any technology that my contributions introduce.
> I.e. when the Second Life Viewer (hereafter "the Viewer") prior to my
> contribution didn't have the patented technology, but the Viewer (as
> it was at the time the respective contribution was made) combined with
> my contribution has it, then I must grant the licences.
>
> What's unclear to me is if I have to also grant patent licences in the
> following cases:
>
>     * The Viewer (at the time of contribution) combined with my
>       contribution isn't affected by my patents, then someone else
>       (Linden Lab or a third party) adds (on top of my contribution)
>       something that is affected by my patents.
>     * The Viewer combined with my contribution isn't affected by my
>       patents, but someone else takes my contribution and combines it
>       with another (e.g. their own) work such that this combination is
>       affected by my patents. (Obviously, this can only be the case
>       for contributions that implement different technologies when
>       combined with different works, which -- while possible in theory
>       -- might be rather hypothetical in practice. Though one never
>       knows, so I want to make sure.)
>     * The Viewer combined with my contribution isn't affected by my
>       patents, but someone takes my contribution and combines it with
>       another (e.g. their own) work which was affected by my patents
>       already without my contribution.
>

>> 5.        You represent and warrant that You are legally entitled to
>> grant the above assignment and licenses. [...] You represent and
>> warrant *that the Contribution is Your original work of authorship*,
>> and to the best
>> of Your knowledge, does not violate any other party's copyrights,
>> trademarks, patents or other intellectual property
>> rights, and that no other person claims, or has the right to claim,
>> any right in any invention or patent related to the
>> Contribution.
> What about contributions based on other people's contributions to the
> Second Life Viewer project, when those contributions haven't (yet)
> been accepted and integrated and so aren't (yet) available under GPL
> (except the original contributor said so)? (E.g. my
> http://jira.secondlife.com/secure/attachment/28350/VWR-5370_rediffed_for_SNOW.patch
> is heavily based on Latif Khalifa's
> http://jira.secondlife.com/secure/attachment/20869/v2_llfloaterchatterbox.h.patch
> which is still in QA)
>
> I'm looking forward to your answers to these concerns, so I can
> hopefully sign and submit the agreement.
>
> <my real life name> (inworld: Boroondas Gupte)

later I followed up with this:
> Dear Sir or Madam
>
> As I haven't heard back from you for two weeks about my questions (cited
> below), I'd like to make clear that I'm not seeking legal advice, which
> I know you can only give to employees. I'd just like to know what you
> meant (applied to the cases I listed in my questions) when you wrote the
> agreement.
>
> If you feel you cannot answer (some of) the questions, please tell me
> about that. If it was because of unclearly formulated questions or
> cases, I might be able to clarify. If the answers just aren't known,
> that'd be useful to know, too.
>
> Yours faithfully,
> <my real life name> (inworld: Boroondas Gupte)
>
> <full quote of the mail above>

I'm not really looking for IANAL answers from this list, but I thought
it might be good to make my questions public, as others might have the
same or similar ones. I'd still appreciate any authoritative answers.

cheers
Boroondas