Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2000-03-14 12:34:38 +0000, Dr Stephen Henson wrote:
>
> > At the time I couldn't find a MIME parser with an
> > appropriate licence that worked on the same platforms
> > as OpenSSL. More importantly none of them seemed to
> > handle multipart/signed properly.
>
> I may be missing some point here, but any sufficiently
> general MIME parser can be used for multipart/signed,
> IMHO.  However, that's not really the topic here.

The ones I tried at the time couldn't. They need to take the first part
verbatim and convert it to "canonical form". Those I saw would not allow
this and end up decoding and reencoding which would break the signature.

> > Anyway if you use the API you don't have to use the
> > OpenSSL MIME parser you can just feed in the decoded
> > parts to the various functions. This isn't available in
> > the 'smime' tool but its not hard to do.
>
> Mh.  Actually, we are generally trying to keep back-ends
> of all kinds (pgp, handlers for individual MIME content
> types, ...) in external programs which are invoked from
> mutt.  What I imagine is a command line tool which can
> easily be used with advanced mail user agents, from the
> command line, etc.  I'd prefer not to have to include a
> tool of our own with the mutt distribution.

The smime app isn't currently a full blown S/MIME client just a friendly
wrapper round the S/MIME API.

A full blown application would have a key and certificate database and
store things like the algorithms supported by each recipient so it
doesn't send mail encrypted with algorithms the recipient doesn't
support.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/