Dr S N Henson wrote:

> Another general ASN1 question.
>
> The revised OpenSSL ASN1 code will eventually have support for I/O based
> operations in addition to the current memory based operations which need
> to have the entire structure in memory (tricky if its a 1Gb structure on
> tape).
>
> Doing blocking I/O is fairly straight forward.
>
> Handling non blocking I/O is quite a bit harder because the ASN1 decoder
> or encoder must be able to save its internal state and restart where it
> left off.
>
> So the question: how many people would want non blocking I/O support? If
> no one or hardly anyone wants or needs it then there isn't a lot of
> point. However if there's considerably demand it would be worth looking
> into.

Before I get swamped with mail about this I'll clarify one issue. I am
***NOT*** talking about I/O in general for things like SSL etc. that
will be unchanged: that is I'm not considering stopping the use of non
blocking I/O for SSL etc.

My comments refer to ASN1 I/O only. OpenSSL doesn't currently have I/O
based ASN1 code at all and I'm seeing if people have a specific need to
non blocking ASN1 I/O or if the simpler blocking I/O will suffice.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/
Personal Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]