mlist> no, there's no version rule per say. but AFAIA the vast
mlist> majority of the online society has adopted that a is alpha, b
mlist> is beta, and g is gamma, all meaning a pre-release to the
mlist> version number stated.

And what does 'c' mean then?  I just glanced at www.freshmeat.net, and
in the right column, I could find at least three distributions having
a version number ending with a 'c'.  I found one package that
obviously uses 'a' to mean "alpha", so I'm not saying you're wrong,
just that both worlds exist, and that the only way to know is to look
more closely at the package and use your gray cells.

mlist> so i have to download a version first, then read that include
mlist> file to see if i have the latest version?

There are more ways to check that out, for example take a look at
http://www.openssl.org/news/, where events are given in inversed
chronoligical order.  You'll notice that 0.9.6 came half a year ago,
which should mean that 0.9.6a can hardly be an alpha of the same
version.

mlist> which makes it even more unclear to people who take 'a' as
mlist> meaning alpha (a beta 3 to an alpha? huh?)

Oh, come on, that was ridiculous...

mlist> it's true you're welcome to do versioning anyway you want..but
mlist> noone i know has ever taken 'a' as a newer release on the same
mlist> version.

Now you know one: me.  :-)
And I can give you another one: RMS (emacs 19.34 was followed by
19.34a which was followed by 19.34b)

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chairman@Stacken   \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.