From: Bear Giles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

bear> What I'm ultimately trying to support is database functions to
bear> convert between tables and X.509 subjects.  I expect this will
bear> be a set of functions like:
bear>
bear>  x509name_set_field_string (x509name *name, text *field, text *value,
bear>    int *pos);

What about the following functions (found in asn1.h)?

ASN1_STRING *ASN1_STRING_set_by_NID(ASN1_STRING **out, const unsignedchar *in,
                                int inlen, int inform, int nid);
ASN1_STRING_TABLE *ASN1_STRING_TABLE_get(int nid);
int ASN1_STRING_TABLE_add(int nid,
                          long minsize, long maxsize, unsigned long mask,
                          unsigned long flags)
void ASN1_STRING_TABLE_cleanup(void);

The first of them seems to do what you want to do (but you will have
to give it the field value in form of a NID, which you can get with
OBJ_txt2nid()).

bear> As for domainComponent in particular, the RFC clearly limits it
bear> to 64 octets, and the DNS system has component limits of either
bear> 64 or 128 octets.  So in this particular case a limit is
bear> appropriate.  More generally, if the RFC limits the size of any
bear> NID, the code should probably enforce it.

I couldn't agree more.  If I remember this evening, I'll check through
RFC2459 (and others, if someone makes suggestions) and insert the
limits I find.

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.