[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>         After generating CSR with openssl 0.9.8-dev, 0.9.7-dev or 0.9.6
> 'asn1dump' says that:
>
>  261 02    3:             INTEGER 65537
>             :             }
>             :           }
>             :       }
>  266 A0    0:     [0]
>             :       Error: Object has zero length.
>             :     }
>  268 30   13:   SEQUENCE {
>  270 06    9:     OBJECT IDENTIFIER md5withRSAEncryption (1 2 840 113549 1 1 4)
>  281 05    0:     NULL
>             :     }
>
> What's going on with this error?

I presume you mean Peter Gutmann's dumpasn1?

This is the "attributes" field which is a SET OF Attribute. If there
aren't any attributes it has to be encoded as an empty SET OF structure.

This isn't an error, though it is arguably an oddity in the
specification: such things are normally OPTIONAL.

You'll get a similar "error" message with some OCSP responses which can
include an implicitly tagged NULL type.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/