On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 02:32:11PM -0400, Sundaram, Mani wrote:
> Ben Laurie suggested that we send our OpenSSL diffs to the developers for
> review.  We would like to call our port as "VOS OpenSSL"; we request your
> permission to use the OpenSSL name.
>
> Our changes include adding header files to compile on VOS - mostly
> sys/types.h and sys/select.h. This is because on the Linux OpenSSL code
> base, time.h includes types.h and select.h whereas in VOS it does not.
> There are two other changes that we did to the code:
>
> 1. VOS doesn't support getrusage( ) or ftime( ). However, we do support
> gettimeofday( ) and times( ). We had to write a new else condition in
> speed.c to handle this case. We haven't modified the functionality of the
> code.
> 2. gcc -Wall warns when sprintf (foo, "%d", foobar) is called (foobar is a
> long datatype). We fixed this.
>
> We believe that these changes are platform specific only and no
> functionality of the product has been compromised. We didn't delete any
> source code.
>
> We are enclosing the diff and the self-test results. We would appreciate
> your prompt reply with the approval of our changes and the use of the
> OpenSSL name. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further
> information.

You already received other statements about your submission.

0.9.6 is closed. Please contribute against 0.9.7. If you hurry up, it
may still make it into 0.9.7, going to be released soon.

I will add some more statements on the fly.

> diff -r -x Makefile* /p/openssl/dev.0.9/src/openssl-0.9.6/apps/app_rand.c
> /p/openssl/porting_base/apps/app_rand.c
> 145,147d144
> < #ifdef VOS_DEBUG
> <     printf("\n file = %s", file);
> < #endif /* VOS */

Please remove debugging statements, patches should be least intrusive.

> diff -r -x Makefile* /p/openssl/dev.0.9/src/openssl-0.9.6/apps/dh.c
> /p/openssl/porting_base/apps/dh.c
> 63,65d62
> < #ifdef __VOS__
> < #include <sys/types.h>
> < #endif

Please check out e_os.h. Other operating systems have similar problems
and these problems are handled in e_os.h.

> diff -r -x Makefile* /p/openssl/dev.0.9/src/openssl-0.9.6/apps/openssl.cnf
> /p/openssl/porting_base/apps/openssl.cnf
> 8a9
> > RANDFILE            = $ENV::HOME/.rnd
> 36c37
> < dir            = ./demoCA    # Where everything is kept
> ---
> > dir         = ./demoCA              # Where everything is kept
> 39,40c40,41
> < database         = $dir/index.txt   # database index file.
> < new_certs_dir       = $dir/newcerts     # default place for new certs.
> ---
> > database    = $dir/index.txt        # database index file.
> > new_certs_dir       = $dir/newcerts         # default place for new certs.

It seems that there is no difference in the contents (except for RANDFILE)
but probably only indentation diffs. Please edit these out before
submitting.

> diff -r -x Makefile* /p/openssl/dev.0.9/src/openssl-0.9.6/apps/speed.c
> /p/openssl/porting_base/apps/speed.c
> 72,80d71
> < #ifdef __VOS__
> < #ifndef _BSD
> < #define _BSD /* for gettimeofday() */
> < #endif /* _BSD */
> < #ifndef _SYSV
> < #define _SYSV
> < #endif /* _SYSV */
> < #endif /*__VOS__ */

This change does make sense to me. In how far are _BSD and _SYSV symbols
involved, when just the VOS case should be handled.

> 84c78
> < #define SIGACTION  /* Define this if you have sigaction() */
> ---
> > /* #define SIGACTION */ /* Define this if you have sigaction() */

Are you sure that this will not break other platforms?

> /p/openssl/dev.0.9/src/openssl-0.9.6/crypto/opensslconf.h
> /p/openssl/porting_base/crypto/opensslconf.h
> 6,11c6
> < # ifndef NO_IDEA
> < #  define NO_IDEA
> < # endif
> < # ifndef NO_RC5
> < #  define NO_RC5
> < # endif
> ---
> >    /* no ciphers excluded */
> 16,18d10
> < # ifndef NO_ASM
> < #  define NO_ASM
> < # endif
> 28c20
> < #define OPENSSLDIR "/system/openssl"
> ---
> > #define OPENSSLDIR "/usr/local/ssl"
> 77c69
> < #define BN_LLONG
> ---
> > #undef BN_LLONG

Please do not change OpenSSL build defaults in a platform specific patch.

> 17c13
> < #include <string.h>
> ---
> > #include <strings.h>

This may break other platforms.

> diff -r -x Makefile* /p/openssl/dev.0.9/src/openssl-0.9.6/test/tcrl
> /p/openssl/porting_base/test/tcrl
> 80c80
> < /system/gnu_library/bin/rm -f f.* ff.* fff.*
> ---
> > /bin/rm -f f.* ff.* fff.*

This will most likely break other platforms. (More of these deleted.)

Additional note:
We collect platform specific settings in "Configure". Please add a
corresponding entry for your OS (and a detection routine for "config",
if applicable).
You will see, that your patch will shrink significantly, when following
my advice.

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/