Indeed it would be a good idea, especially for
RSA_generate_key, since people have to generate their
key thru an interface that is extern to OpenSSL, then
sign their CSR with that key using OpenSSL, when
everything could be implemented within OpenSSL.
The major benefit would come for, a PKI architecture
based on OpenSSL, imagine a CA tree, if I want the key
of the ROOT CA, the SUB-CAs to be stocked in a
hardware device, you can't make it thru OpenSSL, and
it become a pain in the butt if your architecture is
managed thru the network, you will have to physically
go on the CA computer, to generate each of the SUB-CAs
keys.