My reading of Rogaway's CTR submission was a nonce in the top half of
the counter with a simple increment (by one) of the whole counter.  Is
there a new spec we need to comply with?

What is the correct behavior of CTR when it reaches 2^64 (or whatever
lower limit IPsec et al may set)?  I'd assumed that it was safe to
wrap to zero and keep counting.  Do you have a suggested
implementation for how to set a lower limit?

The modes should probably be written as macros, yes.  Unfortunately,
some cipher implementations don't call an ECB function but actually
implement the cipher inside the mode; switching to mode macros will be
very tricky.

Thus spake John Viega: