I've been thinking about the whole static vs. dynamic lock situation,
and I must say I have some difficulty seeing a good way out of it.
The two variants serve similar purposes, but have one crucial
difference, and it's that the static ones are pre-initialised.

If everything was converted to use dynamic locks, I wonder where those
locks would be created and initialised?  Shall we have yet another
startup function, say OpenSSL_init(), that does this (BTW, we really
should have that anyway, so we have something that does all those
startup things that people usually need to do, but that's another
story)?

I was playing with the thought of having CRYPTO_lock() create new
locks on the fly if needed, but that won't work because a) there is no
way to know of the given lock index would be an error or a request for
a new lock, and b) to protect the creation against concurency, we'd
need another lock => catch 22!

This needs a lot more thought.

In any case, Bertie, I will apply your patch.  I do it reluctantly,
but I've realised that the situation demands it.

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.