Thus spake "Thierry Boivin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I agree with this approach which leaves the crypto library very open and
> not to complex to manipulate, whatever the upper program to develop is.
>
> Generalized approach  : as differencies for the various applications are
the
> way to build the IV, ie: nonce part /upper counter part / lower counter
> part /whatever part, and, in my opinion, not the way to increment such a
> global IV from block to block,  I would make the library incrementing by
> one on the whole size of the IV, leaving boundaries aspects (the routine
> just don't care about the way the given IV was built) and associated
> overflow condition checks (the routine gives back the manipulated IV) to
> the responsability of the calling programs.

I'm thinking this is the best general solution we can hope for.  Also, we
should explicitly include in the docs a warning to check the IV for overflow
iff the counter is <64 bits.

Richard, do you want me to write up the code change, or do you want to do
it?