How is the /CN= supposed to be encoded for a host/domain-
name using international characters? In some specified charset
(utf8?) or in the ASCII Compatible Encoded form?

I ask since in an application here (using libidn), I get the subject
with X509_get_subject_name() and check the CN (or wildcard
mask) against the host I connect to. If they don't match, that's
an error.

E.g. if I connect to www.tromsų.no, it's registered in DNS as
www.xn--troms-zua.no. Should the CN be the same also? Is it
an error to match the CN against www.tromsų.no too? Guessing
beeing liberal is okay...

BTW. is there any function in OpenSSL that can match
e.g. "x*.foo.com" against "xxx.foo.com"?

IDNA = Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications, RFC-3490.

--gv