Buf if you issue disassemble command at debugger prompt, you should see that you're in _init and if you follow to failing address you're most likely to spot mov (%eax),%al, right?

You are right:
Dump of assembler code for function _init:
0xdfb1b7c0 <_init+0>:   call   0xdfa6532c <frame_dummy>
0xdfb1b7c5 <_init+5>:   add    %al,(%eax)
Of course, it is add rather than mov, because add instruction has zero
opcode on intel.

Right! I wrote "mov" off the top of my head, in reality I see "add" too. But one way or another it's Solaris x86 specific bug in GCC run-time environment. Mentioned linker deficiency is recognized in GCC source and workaroung was in place in elder GCC releases [at least it's present in my 2.95.x installation]. I guess it was erroneously omitted in some newer release. Try to patch your run-time environment by executing http://www.openssl.org/~appro/values.c and report back. The patch is designed to work with both old and new GCC releases. A.