But I'll take up the cue  and see what we can do that works
everywhere.

Then it would have to be the least common denominator: 97, 98, 100 or independent numbers such as 1, 2, 3.

The above was referring to file suffixes. It should be noted that there're platforms, which has no notion of versioning through file suffix, most notably Windows. The only way to get it working on Windows and similar platforms [if any] would be to encode the version into .DLL file name, e.g. crypto098.dll, ...099.dll, ...100.dll [note that at least in Windows context it doesn't prevent us from calling corresponding .lib import library for crypto.lib]. In other words least common denominator would be embedding version number into shared object file name, not its extension. As it's unlikely to be accepted that Unix developers would have link with -lcrypto100, we're stuck with multiple versioning schemes in either case:-(

On a side note in respect to problem with cross-polution of global name table from different versions of OpenSSL. Windows would be free from this, because import tables are private to every mapped module, meaning that two modules, one linked with 0.9.7 and another with 0.9.8, would not interfere with each other. Just a side note! A.