I'm using 0.9.8a with the latest OpenSSH 4.2 on Solaris 8. Sometimes the ssh
client will dump core.

There was a report on OpenSSH list last year about intermittent failures on multi-CPU UltraSPARC system. It was not as fatal as core dump, but it was sporadic. They asserted that ssh worked reliably if one disengages one CPU. Concensus was that the failure is caused by a hardware deficiency. What's your hardware?

(gdb) where
#0  0xff1fe914 in bn_sub_words () from /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
#1  0xff1f7e18 in bn_sub_part_words ()
   from /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
#2  0xff1f89d8 in bn_mul_recursive ()
   from /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
#3  0xff1f88ac in bn_mul_recursive ()
   from /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
(gdb)

You need to:
- state which platform line was used, run 'openssl version -a' to figure out; - state which signal caused the core dump, gdb reports it when loads core file;
- supply disassemble output, run 'disassemble' at gdb prompt;
- supply register bank contents, run 'info reg' at gdb prompt;

The archives only reveal some old x86 asm problems. I've googled up this
reference:

  http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/openssh-unix-dev-0509/17.html

The referred url sounds very much like identical problem. At least libcrypto.so location suggests that both are UltraSPARC-based systems. So I don't quite understand what do you mean by "old x86 asm problems." Unless of course it refers to something else and not to the url above. A.