On Tue, Jan 31, 2006, Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:

> Brian Long wrote:
> >On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 15:23 +0100, Stephen Henson via RT wrote:
> >
> >>Note that some TLS extension code has recently been committed to the
> >>HEAD (0.9.9-dev). So if this is to be included into OpenSSL it would
> >>have to work with that.
> >>
> >Is it true that openssl-0.9.7 and 0.9.8 are frozen with regards to
> >features like TLS extensions?
> The message above means that there's no way a patch that's different and
> incompatible with the one in 0.9.9 will be included. Not more than that.

Well I didn't quite mean it like that.

As has happened previously the functionality in the HEAD is not set in stone
and may be subject to change.

I'm aware of the 0.9.9 TLS extension efforts but I'm not currently actively
involved with them. I have a shed load of other things to do.

> But I think the door is not completely closed on it getting inside an
> evolution of 0.9.8.
> 0.9.8 is really recent as far as openssl development goes, 0.9.9 is a
> really far perspective, so I think we *could* get in a situation where a
> convincing case could be presented to the openssl team that this feature
> is important enough to deserve to be back-ported and integrated in the
> stable release.
> But only if the code gets really stable and the change does not impact
> too much of 0.9.8.

Along with stability an issue of primary importance is binary compatibility.
If the proposed change breaks binary compatibility in a stable branch that is
a very bad thing(TM).

It is also my understaning that existing applications would in any case need
to be modified to support TLS extensions.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.