On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 10:34:42PM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> >I think we have 2 options:
> >- Completly drop the old des support, including des_old.h
> >- Drop the libdes compatibility, so that it's only compatible
> >  with older openssl versions, and people can still use the des_*
> >  versions.
> >

> How about option 3 - change the default to not include it but
> leave the code still in there, then see how many people
> squawk about old des support "missing" and get told to
> set the flag to include it, then make a decision about
> stripping it out completely, based on that.

I would like to point out that currently you already need to
define OPENSSL_DES_LIBDES_COMPATIBILITY to use the old des
library interface.  You've been warned that it'll get removed
since end of 2002, so about 3 years now.

It's actually not that hard to convert to the new interface.

Anyway, I would be happy that the default doesn't include it
anymore.

Kurt