You should be able to implement your code using the callbacks, without
having to add code to the library directly.  This is, I believe, not
available in 0.9.7g -- most of the callbacks were implemented in
0.9.8.  (You should always be able to contribute in the contrib/
directory, though examples of how to use the library as-is without
having to recompile it are likely more includable.  An example of how
to extend the authentication mechanism, though, is definitely useful.)

If you make the code available, this is an area that I have interest
in, and would gladly help with making 0.9.8- and 0.9.9-capable.

[more comments interspersed below]