On Thu, Nov 09, 2006, Richard Salz wrote:

> > davids> simple -- if you are going to call a function whose types you
> > davids> don't know (through a prototype), you must cast each type you
> > davids> pass to the type the function expects. End of story. OpenSSL
> > davids> does not do this. This is not valid C whether or not the type
> > davids> sizes are the same.
>
> I don't think that's correct.  If you are calling a function where a
> prototype is not in scope, the 'classic' promotion rules are used (float
> to double, char or short to int, etc).

Well just to add to the confusion... I've compiled up gcc4.2 myself from
source just to see what is going on.

Yes it does indeed give the reported issues but what is strange is that almost
identical constructs (the safestack, and some related macros) don't even
generate a warning.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.