This belongs on openssl-users, not openssl-dev.

I. I don't have the precise information, but I think it likely will be if it was a project committer who stated it will be.
II. Your guess is as good as mine.
III. If it applies, compiles, and functions then there shouldn't be a problem. It is always recommended that you use the latest version though (0.9.8a had a critical security vulnerability in its handling of RSA key lengths, if I remember correctly). IV. Does the patch itself have any license text associated? If not, custom has been to assume that it can be used under the same license as the library that it is applied to; you would have to ask the originator of the patch for absolute certainty, but if it is included in the distribution that distribution version will be distributed under the same license as the current version in the absence of any statement to the contrary.

I am not a lawyer, I am not a project team member, I cannot give legal advice, if you need legal advice talk to an attorney. These statements are my own and are not endorsed by the OpenSSL project team, I do not claim to speak for anyone else at all. (and I have to include this particular disclaimer line because you specifically used the word 'legal' in your final question.)

-Kyle H