> We have been building OpenSSL on PPC64 and S390X platforms with Linux
> and have found some type punning errors in both the 0.9.7 tree and the
> 0.9.8 tree. The self-test test_x509 fails due to this error. This error
> only seems to appear on big endien 64 bit machines, whether compiling
> for 32 or 64 bit targets.

This is circumstantial. I mean it's not specific to big endian 64-bit
platforms. It takes aggressive optimizer and large register bank, large
enough to apply those aggressive optimizations. Proper fix is
http://cvs.openssl.org/chngview?cn=16407 [and
http://cvs.openssl.org/chngview?cn=16408 for 0.9.8]. A.