Hi Andy,
> Could you define "crashes"? Does application exit with an error code or
> does application abnormally terminate so that OS offers to or does
> create a core dump (or whatever it's called in NetWare)?
core dump.

> Does it mean that the C code in these two cases is compiled with same
> compiler and same compiler flags? In other words can you confirm that
> replacing single object file, one compiled with nasm with one compiled
> with metrowerks, triggers the fault?
yes.

> Output seems to be 16-bit and cover whole file (as opposite to
> disassembling executable segment only). In other words it's pretty
> worthless. Could you see you ndisasm manual and look for 32-bit flag and
> "disassemble code only." Former is absolutely crucial to use, presuming
> that it will synchronize at same instruction early enough. Please
> regenerate disassembler listings. A.
done; and I believe the issue shows already up in the first lines at 00000014:
Metrowerks:
http://www.gknw.net/test/openssl/0.9.8-stable/mwasm/rm-nw.dis
NASM:
http://www.gknw.net/test/openssl/0.9.8-stable/nasm/rm-nw.dis

the asm code is:
        sub     esp,            108

NASM produces for that:
00000014  81EC6C000000      sub esp,0x6c

while Metrowerks code is:
00000014  83EC6C            sub esp,byte +0x6c

I've 3 different versions of the Metrowerks Assembler, and all produce same
wrong code here...
no idea yet how to tell the stupid assembler to deal properly with that...

any hints what I should test welcome!

thanks, Guenter.