Maarten Litmaath wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
>> I can't see how anything could cause an issue with 85 CAs. The attached
>> descriptions imply it might be a mod_ssl issue (not reproducible with
>> s_server).
>
> There is a bit more information now in our ticket:
>
>     https://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?48458
>
> Romain Wartel wrote:
>
>  > So 4 conditions need to be met to reproduce the bug:
>  > - More than ~85 root CAs installed (the exact number varies)
>  > - The host certificate has been issued by the CERN CA
>  > - OpenSSL is configured to check the client side certificate
>  >   (optional or required)
>  > - Both the CERN-Root CA and the CERN-TCA CA have to be installed
>
> However, Lassi A. Tuura then wrote:
>
>  > There is only one known condition triggering the problem,
>  > as quoted earlier in this thread: SSL re-negotiation response >= 12kB
>  > leads to failure to flush the data to socket leading to server and
>  > client to wait indefinitely for each other.
>  >
>  > There's any number of ways to trim or expand the SSL response size
>  > to cross that threshold.
>
> The CERN CA has the second biggest size of all ~90 CAs currently
> supported by IGTF, which might explain why only CERN services are
> affected at this time.  OTOH, it does not look very different from
> others in the top 10:
>
> 1e12d831.0 2594
> 1d879c6c.0 2204
> 9ff26ea4.0 2143
> 55994d72.0 2029
> 9dd23746.0 1996
> 0a2bac92.0 1976
> f5ead794.0 1919
> 03aa0ecb.0 1907
> 6fee79b0.0 1903
> fe102e03.0 1900
>
> Then again, we may need to add the size of the CERN _Root_ CA:
>
> d254cc30.0 1350
>
> But there are other such chained CAs that do not cause problems...
>
>> I'd suggest trying OpenSSL 0.9.8k as well though because some code
>> changes might have an effect in that area.
>
> Steve Traylen wrote:
>
>  > it hangs the same , remove a few cas and it works.
>  >
>  > # rpm -q httpd mod_ssl openssl fedora-release
>  > httpd-2.2.11-8.x86_64
>  > mod_ssl-2.2.11-8.x86_64
>  > openssl-0.9.8k-4.fc11.x86_64
>  > fedora-release-11-1.noarch
>
> Might it be worth trying 1.0.0 as well?
> Thanks,
>     Maarten

In the past we can download a file with CA certificates (
ca-bundle.crt.tar.gz ) from mod_ssl site. Now file is removed but it
contain more then 90 certificates (PEM format concatenated together).

I could confirm that problem is not in the number of certificates in
file or  hash-dir as I test regularly with various OpenSSL versions
starting from 0.9.6.

May be problem is in 64-bit OpenSSL (fedora?) build ?

Roumen