From: "Arpadffy Zoltan" <zoltan.arpad...@scientificgames.se>

> As VMS does not have a make clean function yet, [...]

   When _all_ the product files get put into architecture-specific
directories, then cleaning gets easy.

> > Copied files?  What's copied? =20
> In makevms.com ALL target will do a SOFTLINKS by the way, that will do a
> lot of coping around.
> I agree that with the right /INCLUDE parameter it would be more
> appropriate to build. I'll add this as well to my TODO list.

   I already added it to my DONE list for 0.9.8k.

      notes_0_9_8k.txt:

            VMS Changes to OpenSSL 0.9.8k   2009-03-29  SMS.
[...]
makevms.com             Added IA64 support.
[...]
                        Changed to stop copying files into "[.apps]".
                        Changed to stop copying files into "[.test]".
[...]

   I haven't done anything with the new (1.0.0 beta X) stuff because
it wasn't not clear that anyone was looking at the changes I made to the
old stuff.  It's still not clear.

> >> - test with other compilers than DECC
> >   Who uses anything else?
> The build scripts are prepared for VAXC and for GCC as well. I share
> your opinion that these compilers are not used that often nowadays...
> but on old vaxes VAXC still rules and GCC might get a wing in the
> future. It is worth testing at all, unfortunately I do not have
> environment for that.

   I have a VAX with V5.5-2 and VAX C on it, but I'd be amazed if this
code could be built using VAX C.  The only GNU C I have is also on that
VAX, and it's even older than the VAX C.  I assumed that the non-DEC-C
code was all fossils, but it seemed harmless to leave it in.  The builds
haven't worked on VAX with _any_ compiler for so long that it's hard to
imagine that anyone is still using VAX C or GNU C there.

From: Richard Levitte [mailto:rich...@levitte.org]

> I've looked through it, and applied almost all of it. [...]

   If more than one person will be making big changes to these builders,
then it might make some sense to discuss the changes before applying all
of anything to the code.

   I had what I thought was a whole, working 0.9.8k kit, where "working"
means that the builds went through on VAX, Alpha, and IA64.  Some of
those changes seem to have made it to 1.0.0 beta 3, but not all, and I
don't know why.  I've asked, but I hear nothing.  I can't see a good
reason to make the same changes over and over again if they do not get
adopted, and no one says why they do not get adopted.  What am I
missing?  Is there some plan here?