From: "Dr. Stephen Henson" <st...@openssl.org>

> Can you (and others in this thread) please submit bug fix patches to the
> request tracker (r...@openssl.org) so they don't get overlooked??

   From my point of view, "overlooked" is less of a problem than
"rejected".  And some of the stuff which gets added appears to have been
tested by no one.

   For example, I offered revised VMS builders which (among other
things):

      Obviated the annoying copying of C source files into the "test"
directory (symlinks being unsupported on many VMS systems and/or file
systems).

      Added an "SSL_" prefix to the object library names so that a
victim might have some chance of identifying the things amid the clutter
in SYS$SHARE:

      A bunch of other stuff which I've forgotten.

   I also tried building the stuff before I submitted my suggestions.

   Some of these proposed changes involve functional changes which would
affect the victims (object library and shared image file name changes,
for example), so deserve some discussion.  I see very little such
discussion here.  Suggestions get submitted.  Some get adopted.  Some
get rejected.  I find out what happened when I see the next "betaN" kit.
It's not very satisfying, and I've largely stopped caring.  (This may or
may not be seen as much of a loss.)