Am 13.12.2010 08:44, schrieb Tomas Mraz:
On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 11:54 +0100, Andy Polyakov via RT wrote:
I'd argue that it's intentional. The original purpose for -out option
appears to be to emit *certificate* itself, not information about it.
Yes, this kind of means that I reckon that -text option should result in
output to STDout, not to one appointed by -out. There also is
inconsistent usage of STDout when treating -days parameter: error
message should be printed on  stderr, not STDout. If nobody screams for
a week, http://cvs.openssl.org/chngview?cn=20156 will go down to 1.0.x. A.

I'm afraid that the change of the target of the -text option output will
break expectations of some scripts people in the wild use. Although it
is slightly more logical with the change than before I'd prefer keeping
it as is at least for 1.0.x. Of course the -days error output change is
fine.
I second this. My initial reason for the RT was exactly for catching the output with a script; sure its possible to catch it with IO redirection too, but in my case I run a VBScript on Windows which is not able to do IO redirection without launching cmd.exe 1st; doing so makes the script 10+ times slower for 140 certs due to the launch of the shell for 140 times; maybe on Linux this is not that dramatical, but forking a new shell is there time-intensive too. Perhaps a 2nd file output option for catching informational output would be more nice ...

Günter.