Richard Könning wrote:
> Am 20.09.2011 13:19, schrieb Hanno Böck:
>> It seems some rumors are spreading about an attack presented later this
>> week against sslv3/tlsv1.0:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/19/beast_exploits_paypal_ssl/
>>
>> Whatever this attack looks like in detail, all news one can find at the
>> moment suggest that only sslv3/tls 1.0 is affected and going to tls
>> 1.1 or 1.2 should fix it.
>>
>> AFAIK, openssl current release 1.0.0 has no tls 1.2, but the
>> planned openssl 1.0.1 should have.
>>
>> Which leads to the question: Is there a planned timeline for a 1.0.1
>> release and could this be accelerated if the issue turns out to be
>> serious?
>
> Please read http://www.openssl.org/~bodo/tls-cbc.txt, problem #2. You then
> see that the problem is already addressed in OpenSSL 0.9.6d, over seven years
> ago. See also
> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.61.5887&rep=rep1&type=pdf,
>  section 6, subsection "OpenSSL and the Empty Message".

Unfortunately SSL_OP_ALL includes SSL_OP_DONT_INSERT_EMPTY_FRAGMENTS and
many applications set SSL_OP_ALL. So I guess in practice the workaround
is not widely used.
Does anyone know if there are still 'some broken SSL/TLS
implementations' out there that choke if SSL_OP_DONT_INSERT_EMPTY_FRAGMENTS is
not set?

cu
Ludwig

--