Stephen Henson via RT wrote:
I've finally had time to look into this. Please see if this fixes the issue:
May be is not related, but this engine lack call of ENGINE_register_pkey_asn1_meths . It seems to me without this registration initialization is different . If engine configuration is with init =1 gost_pkey_asn1_meths is not called.

http://cvs.openssl.org/chngview?cn=22789
Probably issue is only in static build. After above correction pmeth_GostR3410_94 is used as flag to prevent double initialization.

Openssl 1.0.1 versions call internally ENGINE_register_all_complete.
Since 1.0.1* is binary compatible to 1.0.0* how to detect that engine initialization is finished ?I would like to avoid extra call to ENGINE_register_all_complete.

Steve.

Roumen