> [openssl-dev@openssl.org - Tue Dec 11 00:48:42 2012]:
>
> > In my case, handshake rate drops down to 5-6% on the same hardware
> in 1.0.1c
> in comparison to 1.0.0i.
> I was wrong. Handshake performance degradation is about 10%.
>
> First guilty function is EVP_DigestSignFinal what is perform copying
> of
> supplied context.

That's documented behaviour but there's no reason why a flag couldn't be
added which stops the copying if it isn't needed.

> Eliminating EVP_DigestSignFinal overhead in tls1_P_hash() by replasing
> it
> with calls, what do not perform context copying is trivial.
> But how can we properly perfrom MAC true re-initialization instead of
> creation from very beggining?

Looking the way HMAC is translated into EVP_DigestSign* could be made
more efficient so it supports a proper HMAC context reset instead of
reinitialising with the same key all the time.

I also notice that even the original HMAC version initialises two HMAC
contexts with the same key. That could be improved by initialising one
and copying the context across.

Steve.