On Thu Jan 10 15:33:12 2013, meiling...@emc.com wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank you.
> I just notice that the main time consumer is not the
> getpid().
> I also found thousands of “FIPS_selftest_failed” during
> FIPS mode setup which indeed induce the getpid call.
> Is it normal
> that FIPS_mode_set(1) needs 5 seconds to finish?

For the 1.2 module it can take some time to finish the self tests.

One of the requirements for the 2.0 module was to improve the efficiency of the
self tests, so that should be much quicker if you can use the 2.0 module.

> Do you have any
> idea about the main time consumer here? The call stack is followed.
> If the self-test has some problem, how should I debug to root cause?

The main time consumer is likely to be a call to generate DSA parameters in
FIPS_selftest_dsa(). There isn't anything you can do with the 1.2 module to
spped that up without changing the source and the result being no longer
validated.

Steve.