On Thu Jul 11 23:50:49 2013, f...@open.ch wrote:

> Following bug occurred with s_client under
> * OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012
> * OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013.
>
> However, not triggered with s_client under
> * OpenSSL 0.9.8x 10 May 2012.
>
> API calls tested and failed under
> * OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012.
>
> By connecting with s_client to https://www.wordpress.com for instance,
> and performing CRL checks, s_client gets stucked when comparing the
> server certificate to the corresponding CRL:

I downloaded the corresponding server CRL from www.wordpress.com and don't get
that issue. I can however reproduce it when I use one of your supplied CRLs
with that site and checking through the CRL shows that its scope doesn't match
the server. I've not had a chance to try the other sites yet.

The s_client utility is somewhat artificial in that it tries to continue after
any and all verification errors: if a real application did that it would have
zero security. If you include the option -verify_return_error to s_client only
the first verification error is noted and you shouldn't get the loop any more.

Obviously the loop shouldn't happen: I'll look into fixing that.

Steve,