On Mon 05 May 2014 00:36:57 Matt Caswell via RT wrote:
> This patch changes the output of "pkg-config --libs libssl" from:
> -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto
> to:
> -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl
>
> Arguably this is the strictly "correct" approach. However in practice I
> suspect many build scripts will rely on this behaviour and break as a
> result of this change. I'm not sure its worth it for slightly cleaner .pc
> files.
>
> For that reason I am rejecting this patch in its current form.

i don't understand your logic.  first, pkg-config files are a bit new, so the
number of packages utilizing them are low at this point.  the ones that i have
personally converted upstream are doing the right thing.

the only way this would break is if you were using pkg-config wrongly and
trying to build static programs w/out the --static flag to pkg-config.  but
then again, you'd break with a lot more things than just openssl.

finally, i've been using this patch in Gentoo since openssl first added .pc
files.  we have yet to see a package fail to build here.  so trying to protect
unknown broken build systems from being broken to the detriment of correct
working build systems makes no sense.
-mike