On 01/06/14 08:28, Janpopan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there a list of currently supported platforms?
>
> Which platforms are deprecaded an could/should be removed in the
> sourcecode?
> MS-DOS?
> Windows 16 Bit?
> OS/2?
> Windows 95/98/ME?
> Windows NT/2000/XP?

Hi Jan

You raise an interesting and important topic.

In answer to your first question, I think the answer is "no". However I
believe there should be.

Deciding which platforms though is a bit more tricky and contentious as
invariably, whichever platforms you decide are no longer supported,
there is going to be someone who is going to be upset with that decision!

In my personal opinion (not necessarily that of the rest of dev team),
we should have:
 * A core list of supported platforms
 * An extended list of platforms where support is provided by the community
 * We should seek to remove from the source code anything that does not
exist in the core list
 * Anything we remove from the code to support the first list can be
added back in, in platform specific repositories, by the community for
the extended list

Necessary criteria for a platform to be included in the first list would be:
 * Currency, i.e. a platform is widely deployed and in current use
 * Vendor support, i.e. if a platform is no longer supported by its
vendor - why should we continue to support it?
 * Available to the dev team, i.e. the dev team have access to a
suitable environment in which to be able to test builds and deal with
tickets and issues

Applying these tests to your list of platforms I think they all fail the
first test (with the exception of XP). They all fail the second test.

I don't know what access the rest of the team have, but certainly for me
all of those platforms also fail the third test. That isn't necessarily
a good guide though as there's probably a number of platforms that
should be considered core that I don't have access to. Probably we
should work out which platforms are core first, and then worry about
ensuring the dev team have access.

On the above basis I would say all of your listed platforms should be
removed from the code (again in my personal opinion).

Matt