On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 12:56:40AM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> > You've declared "-days" to take only positive numbers, it should
> > allow negative numbers.
>
> why?  Or at least: why accept these generally unacceptable options by
> default?  I can understand wanting to be able to create perverse
> certificates to test validation stacks, but i don't think that the
> command line tool used by many people to create certs should be willing
> to create known bad certs without explicitly overriding a warning or
> something.

Command-line tools on unix systems do what they're told.  The
resulting certificate is well-formed, and never valid.  However
in some applications expiration checks are irrelevant (fingerprint
checks and the like),  and a deliberately pre-expired certificate
may be a reasonable choice.

Higher-level tools can check the "days" argument before invoking
the openssl apps layer.  It should not be necessary to write C code
to generate well-formed if corner-case certificates.

--
        Viktor.