>> The only thing that changed for this build now was addition of
“enable-tls1_3” config option (and of course, pulling the latest stuff from the
master).

    >> Removing “enable-tls1_3” and reconfiguring makes this error disappear.
So I think it’s somewhere in tls1_3 code. ;-)

    > Oh! Missed that. I was concentrated on the fact that it was reported in
    > MacOS X context...

☺  Well, I had to report what platform the problem occurred on, hadn’t I? ☺

    > But it appears that it's actually not os-specific and
    > can be reproduced even on Linux.

Good for me! ☺

    > Sorry about misleading the discussion.

No problem. And it was good to check the build to ensure that indeed
“enable-tls1_3” was the culprit.