The Certificate Manager in Windows does allow you to change the trust
settings for root certs (including the purposes reported by openssl
x509 -purpose), although those changes don't appear to be reflected in
the cert dumped from the store (so they must be stored externally).

I think the original concern could have been one of two things (or
possibly both): 1) assuming the cert itself has purpose information,
that needs to be reflected in its use after being added to the cert
store (I assume the verification code is already checking this if it's
a property of the cert), or 2) that a user's choice to (un-)trust
certain certificates is respected, however unusual. I'm not aware of
any facility on Linux to modify the trust status of certs, so I think
this is an issue unique to Windows.

-Matt Stickney