Andrew Cooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This isn't quite true - you can compile OpenSSL to be copyright free.

You mean without the patented algrorithms, presumably?  (i.e., "patent
free" not "copyright free".)  The code is still copyright, but the
copyright looks pretty liberal (and wouldn't cover mere use of the
software anyway).

> However, as far as I know (and my knowledge is a bit out-of-date, so
> this may have changed), this then leaves SSL with cipher suites
> which are not supported by the common browsers.

Yes, I think that's still true.  DSA and things are mandatory for
TLS-1.0, but browsers don't support them (or not very well, anyway)
yet.  (It'll probably be a while until the browsers support these
things properly---probably after next September when it won't matter
anyway.)

--
Bruce Stephens                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MessagingDirect(UK) Ltd         <URL:http://www.MessagingDirect.com/>