On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> You missed my point.  Read on...
>
> >   b) Certificates authenticate that the person is who they say they
> >      are.
> >
> > Trust goes to trusting that second statement, not the trustworthiness
> > of the company behind the statement.
> >

> People in general presume that when they see the little key that they are
> dealing with a "bonified" business.  Yes, I know that the certification
> process does not do this.  And since it doesn't do this it isn't worth
> much.

Now I am surprised.  The key only means that you have a reasonably secure
channel to an unknown endpoint.  Do lots of people really believe that it
means any more than that?  That is frightening.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Where's the kaboom?  There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom!"