That's me told then, so to authenticate a certificate you need the whole
"chain" of certs going from the cert to authenticate all the way to a
trusted CA.

The application I am writing is presented with certs to authenicate from an
external source, and the configuration has to hold a "pool" of trusted certs
so you can check the certificates presented.  It appears that this "pool"
has to basically have every possible signer in it.  I was kind of hoping
that I could get away with only a couple of trusted CA's; and traverse the
certificate hierarchy to these roots.  Hold on, I can't do that because
without the intermediate signer certs how can I figure out who signed them?

Got it now.

Tat.