>>But when I comment out the key length line, and truncate the key
>>so it's only 16 bytes instead of 32, it returns the same ciphertext.
>>
>>Is it not possible with EVP to change the key size??
>>I've checked the return code of  EVP_CIPHER_CTX_set_key_length, and
>>everything looks like it should be working ...
>>
>>I'm using OpenSSL 0.9.6b
>>

> You need two calls to EVP_EncryptInit if you are changing cipher
> parameters, check the manual pages for more info.

Hmm, I just experienced an oddity.   When I went from 0 to 15 twice
as my key (256 bit key), it produced the same output as if I had gone
only gone from 0 to 15 once (128bit key) ..

So I guess having this repeating pattern or whatever actually reduced
my cipher strength to 128 bits .... I had no idea, and I guess this
is where I _thought_ I was seeing a problem, but really wasn't ....
oops ... sorry...

-Brad