On Monday July 19th 2004 Paulo Neves wrote:

> I'm trying to compile openssl-0.9.7d for athlon.
> After "./config shared" I edit Makefile to replace -m486 for -march=athlon here:

> cc1: bad value (athlon) for -march= switch
>
> How can I compile for athlon?
>
> gcc -v
> gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)

The 2.x versions of gcc do not support specific options for the athlon.
You need either -march=pentium (for the 2.x version of gcc) or use a 3.x
version of gcc, which does support -march=athlon.

You might want to experiment with 'openssl speed' afterwards to compare
different options. In my limited testing specifying '-march=pentium'
results in *less* efficient code on most processors than the default
(-march=i486). Using gcc version 3.x versus version 2.x seems to always
result in a noticeably faster executable. So I'd say the compiler does
make a difference, but the default options are quite alright.

And using executables compiled for specific processors can sometimes
result in strange bugs when run on other processors.
--
Marco Roeland