Not sure why I can't import a p12 file directly in the IIS admin panel, but this article describes how to do it using mmc . . .

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;232137

-- Tim

Peter O Sigurdson wrote:

This is great information,

Can you point me to a HOWTO or other resource

> regarding importing SSL certs into IIS?

For the standard model, where you generate the CSR on
the server (so the private key stays in the server
the whole time) my standard reference is "IIS Security"
(Marty Jost and Michael Cobb) McGraw Hill/Osborne 2002
but directions can be found at the web pages of all the
commercial certificate vendors -- go prowl Thawte or
VeriSign and pretend you just paid them $150 for a
commercial certificate.

For the alternative model where both the certificate
and private key are generated externally, I didn't even
know if it could be done until this message was just
posted on this list:

 > As others have mentioned, you can use OpenSSL to
 > generate the request + key, and once you sign the
 > request you'll then need to create a PKCS-12
 > file containing the certificate and key, then import
 > that into IIS.

I've played with PKCS-12 files for installing USER
certificates in clients, but have never played with
using it to install SERVER certificates into a
server.

Take a look at the "openssl pkcs12" command.