Intuitively, you have to know that the client needs it's private key
for something.  Since the public key certificate is public, it alone
can't prove that the client is you.  Anyone can send your certificate
to a server, right?

In practice, the server walks the certificate chain, which proves that
the certificate is cryptographically valid.  It then sends a challenge
to the client, which the client signs with its private key.  Once the
server verifies the signature using the client public key, it knows
that the client is you (only if it trusts the certificate chain.).

--
Ken Goldman   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   914-784-7646